Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Fun at Duke!

Yesterday Lydia and I went on a road trip to Durham to visit Duke University and to have dinner with my friend Bobby. He was my creative writing teacher in high school, and better known as Mr. Rackley at that time. It has taken me a while to get used to calling him Bobby.



First I picked Lydia up at her house in Fuquay-Varina, and I was able to meet her mom and talk to her for a while. She is such a sweetheart, and prayed for us before we set out on the road. We arrived at the campus not knowing what we were going to do, and ended up at the Sarah P. Duke gardens. All I can say is WOW. Gorgeous. We got some amazing pictures, which are all posted up on facebook.



After we explored around the gardens, we drove around the campus for a while looking for the chapel. Must to our dismay, we could not find it, so we decided to head on to the restaurant. We met Bobby and Red Lobster and enjoyed a great seafood meal together, complete with iced tea and cheddar bay biscuits. The discussion we had was phenomenal. We were mostly talking about future plans and theological education, but Lydia and I asked Bobby a lot of questions about Duke and found out some interesting answers. It was so good to catch up with him. I had not seen him in about five years, so that in and of itself was a treat!



After that, we went back to the campus to look for the chapel. On the way, we realized that we had taken no pictures with Bobby, which is a no-no in my book! I texted him and asked if he could meet up with us again, so he came to the chapel and we took a slew of pictures! Probably enough to fill an entire photo album. The chapel was truly mesmerizing. I have seen it before and been inside, but there is something about being there at night that is special. I will never forget that small snippet of time.



Lydia and I headed back towards Raleigh, and when we got back we caught the tail end of the Biggest Loser. Some friends of the family were at her house, and there was a little girl named Jessica who was bursting full of energy. She decided she wanted to teach me some dance moves, and she ended up teaching me all of the moves to a Hannah Montana's Hoedown Throwdown. Lydia got the whole thing on video. It was quite amusing!

I absolutely love this week-being out of school and waiting until graduation with no super pressing plans and plenty of time to hang out with friends. I am going to miss being in the Creek this summer and being around close friends. Hopefully I will be able to make several road trips back here and other various places to visit the friends who are most important to me. I am so excited about being done with undergrad, but at the same time I don't want it to end! I am so thankful I will be back here for graduate school. I'm not ready to say goodbye to this place for good; it has become my second home.

No comments: